Sunday, October 10, 2010

Trucking The Back 48

Couple of winters back I was leaving an rest area on I-40 in Alabama.  As I was gearing up I saw something laying in the middle of the entrance ramp ahead of me.  Coming up on it and over I saw it was a bird, and a flicker of it's wings, as my 18 wheeler passed over.  There had been several days of below freezing weather very unusual for the state.  By the time I got my rig to a stop and off the shoulder I was a few 100 yards down the road.  I let the air out of my brakes and started the walk back to see what it was and it's condition.  Coming up on it I noticed it appeared to be a baby owl.  I picked it up and it seemed to pass out in my hands.  I returned to the cab carrying it with both hand and laid it in the seat next to mine.

Later that day I tried dropping drops of water down it's throat but it remained in a coma state.  I knew one leg was broken by sight.  I was shocked the next morning when I saw it had come too.  At the next truck stop I got a subway made of turkey and tried feeding it.  Boy that hit the spot it loved turkey.

It traveled across the country with me for a couple of weeks and then it started flying around the cab and into the windows on the opposite side.  You know that owls are smart thing is way over rated.

So I knew I had to let it go.  At a rest area in Alabama not far from were I picked it up.  The look on the trucker's face next to me when I opened my window and released it out of my hands was something to see.   

No comments:

Post a Comment